Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I have, thus far, really enjoyed reading William McDonough and Michael Braungart's piece and it is definitely great to finally see a positive side after a semester of pretty depressing factoids. It is indeed empowering to see this two gentlemen step away from the norm and bring about change in their own respective fields.

One of the reasons I have enjoyed this read the most is because of the experience these two authors bring. They have both been involved in sustainable solutions for a while now and have a lot of experience which makes it easier to take their word and believe what they have to say. Hence, I am a lot less skeptical perusing through their book as compared to other texts we encountered in the duration of this course.

I especially enjoyed the beginning, where they analyse the waste of an average family whose members might think they are conscious about their effects on the environment, but who unknowingly continue to out a strain on the planet. They don't just criticise and preach, but, rather, they show how they have been able to make changes in the way they operate.

They provide optimism and advice on how there is still hope and ways in which we can save ourselves from all the damage we have done. And while it is great to hear that, I am not sure if I am entirely convinced. Sure, there are plenty of alternatives to our wasteful ways of living and I believe that. The problem I see us having to face is convincing people that it is imperative to move away fro our ways immediately if we expect to overcome our mistakes. People know there is a problem and because they do not see any major effects just yet, most are unwilling to move away from the comfortable lives they currently possess. Until something drastic occurs, I do not viably see any changes being made. Alas, when that drastic event occurs, it might be too late. I hate to end on such a dire note, especially when these two authors are so positive about our planet's future, but those are my honest sentiments and I hope that I am proven wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment