Sunday, March 22, 2009

Food Choices

Though my size might not show it, I am someone who really enjoys food, and is always ready to try new cuisines and new delicacies. Simply put, I am a food fanatic. When I decide where or what it is that I want to eat, it is based mostly on my mood, how hungry I am and how much money I have, if I am eating outside of campus! While eating on-campus I try eat as balanced a meal with my meats as well as my vegetables. I have never been one to diet, so my choices of food are generally based on what I think my needs are in order to remain healthy, and never about restrictions. In short, I eat whatever it is I want to!

It is not till recently that I have really realised how big of an impact my meal choices have on the environment. As a college student who eats most of her meals at on-campus dining facilities, it is hard to only eat locally grown products, because it all depends on where the school does its purchasing from. However, there are definitely choices that each one of us can make to lessen out individual impacts on the environment, and while I know that I can never become a full-out vegetarian, I have tried restricting my diet so that I am only consuming meat-products only once a day.

Looking back at my meal choices in the past few days, I cannot say that I have followed my above rule very rigorously, but I am getting there slowly, but surely.I think that it is mainly the meat that I consume that has the highest impact on the environment. In addition, this meat is most probably not locally produced, adding more to the problem. I am mostly a milk drinker which would also have effects depending on where AU gets its milk from.

No comments:

Post a Comment